Tanya has always been interested in culture and language. She became interested in sign language as she took Signing Exact English courses at Medicine Hat College. She became fascinated by the language and began to research the benefits of baby sign. Tanya’s interest in the language became renewed when she was pregnant. Her son was born on February 10, 2012. As Tanya, researched baby sign language she took on-line ASL courses to assist with her My Smart Hands certified instructor training.
Tanya and her husband started to sign with their son at 4 months of age. At 6 months of age, he has recently been watching the hand movements and showing that he recognizes the sign for “milk”, “more” and “play”. Their son, at 6.5 months old, has started to sign milk! At 13 months of age Elijah signs over 14 words and at 14 months he was signing 40 different words with 10 verbal English words. As the family continued to ASL signs and verbal English, Elijah’s vocabulary grew and at 20 months old and has a vocabulary of over 150 words and is putting together 3-5 word sentences in both ASL and English! As a talking toddler, Elijah is able to express his wants, needs, feelings and desires in English and/or sign and thus communication is very easy. By communicating his needs during play, reading, meal times and bedtime we have reduced the amount of frustrations, whining, and tantrums. Signing with children does work!
Tanya and her family recently welcomed Kaila on April 30, 2015! Elijah eagerly started to sign to Kaila. As a family we have been incorporating signing into daily life. There is such fun, joy and learning when playing and signing.
For the majority of her career she has worked with families in Saskatchewan and Alberta. She provided family support related to parent-child interaction and child development. Tanya believes that children need to feel safe, secure and love to grow and experience a world full of learning and exploring!
A Few of Tanya’s Credentials:
- Registered Social Worker
- Certified Positive Discipline Parenting Educator
- Certified My Smart Hands Instructor
- Bachelor and Diploma of Social Work- career focus in parent-child interaction and child development (University of Calgary and Mount Royal University)
- Curriculum and Core Training with Growing Great Families and Growing Great Kids program
- Social and Emotional Development Training
- 1,2,3 Magic- parenting course
- Effective Communication with Parents – Bow Valley College Training
- Mental Health First Aid- focus on Maternity Mental Health
- Ages and Stages Questionnaire Screener
Tanya is excited to bring My Smart Hands to Saskatoon and surrounding areas! She cannot wait to begin learning with parents the importance of early communication through Baby Sign Language!